Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Weekend in Pictures: Baths and a New Year

Saturday was Bath time. Cheesy? Absolutely. But really, we went to the city of Bath, and I especially enjoyed the town. Upon arrival, some of us had the opportunity to go on a Jane Austen tour around the town. Our guide was great, and did a very efficient and enjoyable tour.

Jane Austen and I really bonded
 famous people used to stay there
and there were busloads of Asians frolicking about in the grass
 the houses here reflected the old Roman Colosseum 
with three different types of columns-one type on each level 
 does this take anyone else back to Jane Austin novels?
wish we could have seen the inside
 the river was very pretty
but it reminded me of a sad part of Les Mis (movie)
 it was just gorgeous
 grass doesn't look that vibrant in Texas
another gorgeous Cathedral

Following that, we ventured out on our own for lunch. Caitlyn, Taylor, Megan and I found a fantastic cafe-with surprisingly large portions (by UK standards) and good prices (again, by UK standards).

one word: delicious

We shopped (a term I use loosely, since we didn't really buy anything) around for awhile before meeting up outside the old Roman Baths. There was a fudge shop in the area which said "free samples" in the window. As I stood outside the shop deliberating the merits of going for the free sample without intention of a purchase, the man inside waved me in. I told him that I was only there for the free sample, and he appreciated my honesty but made me pay, in a way, for my frugality by making jests to and about me until I left the shop. I exited leaving some good natured "boo"'s behind me (since I really didn't buy anything) and hollering a "hope you have a good afternoon!" between chuckles.


We listened at our own pace to a kind of tour around the baths, explaining the old architecture, time period, and layout of the baths.





This morning proved to be especially exciting, as we headed over by Chinatown to watch the Chinese New Years parade before heading over to Trafalgar Square to check out the chaos there.

 some adorable girls were huddling in the telephone booth
for warmth 
because
it's real cold here
these precious boys were playing in the street
not the best thing
but their parents took care of them
and they're adorable 
China bus 
 the beginning of the parade
we were so excited to see the dragon!
 they'd come up to the kids
and they seemed to love it

 Trafalgar Square was all blocked off and full of people




4 comments:

  1. Lydia,


    I finally was able to catch up on your blog! It looks as though you are having a blast! I wish Sam and I could join you in your adventures! However, a baby might slow us down. We miss you around these parts and look forward to more posts!

    Love,
    Elya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elya!!

      I'm so glad you took the time to check out what I'm up to, you must be extraordinarily busy with Sam (who I CAN'T WAIT to meet!!!). His pictures are adorable and y'all are a beautiful family. Tell John hey for me!

      Much love,
      Lydia

      Delete
  2. Pictures are amazing! I loved the river!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The river was gorgeous, the pictures don't do it justice!!

      Delete